In this section, we present "Political Education" where information and resource links will be provided to learn more about key political concepts such as a) Leadership b) Local Politics c) Political Communication d) Political Marketing e) Social Market Economy and more. Therefore, the Online Political Library strives to be your one-stop-destination to learn it all when it comes to politics.
Before we proceed, we need to understand that Political Education is an essential element for the development and consolidation of democratic societies, and also an indispensable tool for the success of political parties. In general, political education comprises all those processes that influence and shape people politically as members of a social and political system. This can take place through formal institutions like schools or universities, mass media or membership in groups and organisations. In a more specific sense, political education refers to consciously planned and organised continuous and targeted activities of formal institutions to train and prepare youths and adults for their active participation in political and social life.
Overall, this section aims to:
- Develop and strengthen awareness on the values of a liberal democracy;
- Transmit understanding of important political institutions (such as the parliament, government, elections and voting, political parties) and the functioning of the political decision-making process;
- Promote basic knowledge on important political issues;
- Teach certain skills such as how to approach information, the Media etc.
Political parties, in particular, must dedicate constant attention to the political education and training of their members.
In modern mass democracies, political parties, their leaders and members are constantly facing new issues and are often called upon to take a position on a wide range of current day-to-day developments and social change. It is thus indispensable that parties equip themselves with relevant knowledge and skills in order to prepare their representatives and members for new challenges and assume responsibility within and beyond the party.
This is the task of political education.
Political education within the party is especially successful when it is directed towards younger party members. Political training and education activities of political parties should comprise of three areas:
- Convey basic values and principles of the party;
- Create understanding for political issues such as local, economic, social politics, democracy and its threats, the relationship between the economy and the ecology, globalization etc;
- Prepare for political work within a party and/or when taking on political functions in parliament (political rhetoric, preparation of functions, handling of the media, membership promotion, conducting election campaigns, raise of funds).
Read more to get started!